Pages

Saturday 26 July 2014

You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.


People often say that "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone", and I've certainly been reminded of this over the past fortnight. Two weeks ago, I tool a VERY undignified tumble down the stairs at home. As well as denting my ego, I bruised my coccyx (tailbone). I've been unable to sit 'straight' ever since, and as a result, have also been unable to drive.

I've always loved my car. It's nothing special, it's 12 years old and third hand. It doesn't have air con, sat nav, MP£ connectivity or anything fancy. But it's MINE, and to me it's always meant freedom. Freedom to take jobs in neighbouring cities, or (in the case of my current job) on 'off the beaten track' industrial estates. The ability to visit friends who've moved to other parts of the country on the weekend. A safe way to go anywhere I want early in the morning or late at night. Basically, an easy way to transport anything or anyone I want to to wherever I might want to go whenever I might want to go there. I hadn't realised quite what a part of my normal routine this had become.

I'm trying really hard to use this as a life lesson, and to keep a good attitude. Firstly, it's a temporary situation. Healing is likely to take a number of weeks, and although I'd have preferred 'days' over 'weeks', it's still a temporary situation, and will heal eventually. Some people aren't as lucky with their health and mobility.

Secondly, I have a car to call my own. Again, not everyone is so fortunate.

Thirdly, it's reminded me that I have great friends, great colleagues and a a great partner. I've struggled to get to and from work a couple of times, but it's always worked out in the end, and it's been lovely to have seen how willing people have been to help me out.

I've ordered a coccyx cushion that I hope will make my desk job more comfortable, and as a result, speed up the healing process. Does anyone with any experience of Coccydynia have any other advice?


No comments:

Post a Comment